Lesson Learned

Hi all! So as you can see, my teapot is finally finished! I used a glaze called “Ferg” and I’m super happy with it. It runs from orange/pink to a yellow green. I love all of the variation it holds. I keep finding new subtle colors in the piece, which holds your interest. Although I’m happy with the outcome of the pot, this teapot was a learning piece for me. I haven’t made many teapots, and I must admit this one was rushed, which you can never do in ceramics. First things first, I made my spout way to low on my pot! This teapot only holds a small amount of liquid before it starts to overflow out of the spout (oops!). When I was making the pot I was focusing strictly on form and aesthetics, not function- which was a silly mistake.

Mistake number two. My lid doesn’t have a lip to sit in, so there’s nothing to secure it on top. When I threw the body of the teapot, I didn’t know it was going to be a teapot yet. It’s hard to admit your own mistakes sometimes, but without doing this there’s no way to grow as an artist! You have to be your own critic, and stay modest with your work in order to continue improving. Although I really love how this teapot looks, it isn’t the most functional pot. So it looks this I get to keep this one for myself, and display it somewhere! You live and you learn!

finished teapot

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.